Sunday, July 21, 2013

‘I feel like a perpetual beginner.’

Laxman Shreshtha's debut exhibition took place at Mumbai’s Taj Art Gallery (1963), which led to several shows at some of the art venues in India and internationally. Among his selected solo exhibit are the ones at Jehangir Art Gallery, Mumbai (2008, 2003, 1994); ‘Elaborations’, Recent works in Black and White, Pundole Art Gallery, Mumbai (2007); ‘Inaugural Show’, Prithvi Art Gallery, Mumbai (1994); Gallery Chemould, Mumbai (1968); and a show at Tribhuwan College, Kathmandu, Nepal almost five decades ago.

His selected group shows are 'Aqua', Gallery Beyond, Mumbai’ 'One Eye Sees, the Other Feels', The Viewing Room, Mumbai (both in 2012); 'Point and Line to Plane VI', Gallery Beyond (2008); ‘Tribute to Picasso’, Guild Art Gallery, Mumbai (2002);; ‘Aspects of Modern Indian painting’, courtesy Saffronart and Pundole, Metropolitan Pavilion, New York (2002, 2001); ‘Ideas and Images – Part IV’, NGMA, Mumbai  (2002); and ‘The Search’, Apparao-Wallace Galleries, New York (1997).

Mention must also be made of shows ‘Image Beyond Image’, Glenbarra art Museum Collection, Japan, NGMA (1997); ’50 Years of Freedom of Expression’, Jehangir Gallery (1997); 25 Years of Indian Art, Rabindra Bhavan, Delhi (1972); Baltimore and San Francisco (1971); Maisons des Beaux Arts, Paris (1966); Salle de la Presse, French Foreign Ministry, Paris (1966); and ‘Inaugural Exhibition’, Gallery Chemould (1963)

His noteworthy participations include 'Master’s Corner' at Jehangir Gallery (2010); 'The Miniature Format Show', Sans Tache, Mumbai (2009); ‘Sixth Anniversary Show’, Pundole Art Gallery (1969); and 1st Triennale of World Art in Delhi way back in 1968. He has won several honors and awards such as Deutscher Akoclemischer Austcuschbienst West Germany (1978-79); I.V.P. Grant by the US Government (1971); British Council Grant (1970); Prix d' Honneur, International Art Exchange Exhibition, New York (1966); and French Government Scholarship (1964). 

Summing up his mindset as an individual and as an artist, Laxman Shreshtha has been quoted as saying in an interview: “I never ever think that I’m a master of all that I’m doing. Every time in front of a canvas, I feel like I’m a beginner - a perpetual beginner and I realize I cannot paint. This struggle leads to creation, which is truly fresh. I never create what I’ve known. I create to discard what I’ve already learnt and to move on so as to learn anew.”

No comments:

Post a Comment