Sydney Contemporary is the Australian city’s newest and most ambitious international art fair that will showcase works by both emerging as well as established artists from across the world. It will feature leading international and Australian galleries. Here’s what the event will be all about:
The event’s inaugural edition will take place throughout Eveleigh’s arts precinct Carriageworks, in the third week of September 2013.
- With a thriving art scene and a growing collector base, Sydney is a dynamic cultural destination with an international reputation for presenting the very best in visual art through its public institutions, private collections, leading commercial galleries, and world renowned Biennale. Defined by the vibrancy of its host city, Sydney Contemporary provides commercial galleries with a dynamic platform to showcase the work of emerging and established artists, enabling local and visiting audiences to build on their existing knowledge, and develop their international art collections.
- Tim Etchells, Founder Art Fairs Australia and co-founder ART HK, states: "Sydney Contemporary represents the first time this city has hosted a serious, high-end art fair. We expect it to play a significant role in helping to focus attention on the Sydney art scene in the same way that ART HK focused attention on Asian art.”
- Housed in the distinctive nineteenth century Eveleigh Rail Yards on Wilson Street and located within an evolving urban arts district, Carriageworks has been developed by the NSW State Government through Arts NSW to create and present a multi-disciplinary arts program. This cultural centre provides specialist event facilities and a distinctive cultural edge for both galleries and audiences alike.
- A biennial showcase for the very best visual art, current trends and emergent practices, as well as the cross-cultural dialogue it inspires. Sydney Contemporary boasts three days of public programs, appealing to the experienced, the novice, the discerning art enthusiast and those simply curious about buying and living with art. Programming includes guided tours, educational workshops, guest speakers and an extensive VIP program.
- Created by the co-founder of ART HK, the event is the latest and most exciting addition to a line-up of increasingly influential fairs around the world and is set to establish itself as the must-see contemporary art event on the Australian cultural calendar.