Saturday, June 16, 2012

Transition in G. R. Iranna’s thought process

G. R. Iranna is a down-to-earth artist from a modest rural background. He is counted among the leading artists of his generation in India and internationally, and is known for his sensitive portrayal of socio-political issues, affecting common people. His work and his figures are illustrative of the spirit of human experiences that is timeless and immortal.

The artist looks to strike a chord with the viewers through his works. He cherishes their response as much as the critics’ pat. To begin with, his work was largely based on my personal memories and experiences. Gradually, his oeuvre expanded to encompass broader social concerns and issues affecting common people. This, he believes, has given his work an added depth and intensity.

G. R. Iranna’s concerns regarding the present socio-political scenario find an echo in his work. Spelling out the influences on him as a painter, he explains: “Critics have often observed that my work weans away from postmodern logic, and that it subscribes to the idealistic, representative language of Indian contemporary art. My way of working and the material, which I employ, may indicate so! But I personally think my approach as an artist goes much beyond the terms such as modern and the post modern.”

He hails from a farmer's family, and was born and brought up in a rural environment. G. R. Iranna recounts: “When I migrated to a city, I could relate my experiences of urban India with my childhood life in a village. This gave me an entirely new perspective of life and its extremities.

"My artistic growth would not have been complete, and my art would not have reached its present point of maturity and understanding without either of the experiences. I can relate to both the worlds – urban and rural. Having been a witness to the diametrically opposite lifestyles, my art has attained a new dimension, and an added sensitivity."

No comments:

Post a Comment