Saturday, June 2, 2012

A celebrated artist talks about collecting art


Renowned artist Bose Krishnamachari believes the Indian art scene has significantly metamorphosed over the last two decades primarily through the west because collectors there promoted Indian art and artists such as Sudarshan Shetty and Riyas Komu.

He quips: “They understand that art is all about freedom. Anish Kapoor wanted to show his art in India but there’s no space here for it; there are no institutions. Artists here miss opportunities since we lack the space or the vision.” However, there are a few positives as well. He adds: I noticed while curating a show that the number of female artists (I chose) is more than the male artists. I think women artists in India, these days, are stronger than men. There are many upcoming artists worth looking like Charmi Shah Gada and Suchitra Gahlot.”

He is able to manage different roles of an artist, collector and gallerist since, to put it in his words, “I am serious about what I am doing. I feel the same kind of pressure being an artist and a gallerist. People think I’m ambitious, though I’m not. But it’s good if they think so,” he concludes.

Explaining how he started with the process of collecting art, Bose Krishnamachari had mentioned in a past interview (Jigna P of Hindustan Times) that art is his passion. He might sometimes ask his artist friends about a work he doesn’t like, even though he is actually eyeing another one. When asked whether he re-sells any of the art works, his spontaneous reply was: “No, never. Nor do I barter my art collection. It’s dead money.”

The artist is not against investing in the art market, per se, but he thinks it is interesting when an artist opts to collect works of other artists. In the future, he reveals, he would like to possess work by Marcel Duchamp, Jeff Koons’s ‘Puppy’, and more works by Sudharshan Shetty.

No comments:

Post a Comment