Thursday, July 19, 2012

Works that reflect contemporary concerns

G. R. Iranna, who hails from a modest rural background, is counted among India’s leading artists. Issues such as growing urban-rural divide and inequality affect him deeply at a sub-conscious level as an individual and as an artist.

His thought process has undergone a subtle, albeit definite transition. Initially, his work was based on his personal experiences and memories. G. R. Iranna's oeuvre has gradually expanded. It now encompasses broader social concerns and issues affecting common people. His concerns regarding the current sociopolitical scenario find resonance in his work.

G. R. Iranna's figures have become more representative of contemporary human experiences and concerns. He adds, "When I started as a painter, my work was largely two dimensional. However, I felt the urge to ‘touch and feel’ the direct physical presence of things under scrutiny, and turned to sculpting simultaneously. According to him, this is a natural process associated with an artist’s evolution and maturing.

G. R. Iranna reminiscences: “I was born and brought up in a typical rural environment. When I migrated to a city, I could relate my experiences of urban India with my childhood, giving me a new perspective of life and its extremities. My artistic growth would not have been complete, and my art would not have reached its present point of maturity without either of the experiences.” In fact, he can relate to both the worlds. The artist quips, “I feel that both the worlds and the people belonging to them share similar concerns.

Critics have observed his works wean away from postmodern logic, and it tends to subscribe to the idealistic, representative language of Indian contemporary art. He personally thinks his artistic approach goes much beyond such labels. He adds, “It’s illustrative of the spirit of human experiences - timeless and immortal.”

He points out that each medium has its own challenges. For example, by using gunny bag in some of my works, I have been able to change the meaning as well as the language of the object in different artistic expressions. Known for his sensitive portrayal of serious issues, he strikes a chord with the viewers. The artist cherishes their response as much as the critics’ pat.

Summing up the spirit of his art, he has mentioned: “What I see, experience and perceive, it unconsciously transcends into my figurative language. I treat my work as a documentation of historical reality and look for clues of social changes through it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment