Friday, November 25, 2011

Making of the magnificent 'Maharaja' works

Under the British rule, the maharajas were shown off in Europe as exotic symbols of splendor and essentially became the jewel in the queen's crown. But the relationship was more complicated than master and servant; as the rajas were exposed to European culture it helped transform and modernize their own kingdoms back in India.
The San Francisco-based Asian Art Museum is running a show that maps the magnificent era. Deities, Demons, and Dudes with 'Staches: Indian Avatars by India’s Sanjay Patel runs alongside the main show. Initially, he was just told to make a partial contribution, but then was granted a separate show. Here’s the art practitioner’s narration of the experience”

“After reading the catalogue I was inspired to start sketching regardless of what I was or wasn't qualified to do. Eventually I spent over three months working on this project. I went as far as creating final illustrations even before my pitch had been accepted. This was all without any further contact with the museum.

After the initial meeting with the museum staff I didn't speak to them, let alone show them any sketches or discuss any of my ideas. I just went for it. Usually, this method is a total no no. I would never work this way at PIXAR or with a publisher, but for some reason I felt the museum was asking me to just do my thing. So I did, so much so that I didn't care if what I made pleased them or not. It was all consuming. Without a doubt it became a personal passion project.

As the date approached I created an elaborate keynote presentation to go over my entire thought process. I even went as far as producing a 4 x 16 foot mock up of what would later become a full-scale mural. After the pitch everyone in the room was floored. They loved the work and started talking about the ideas right away. A week later the curators called me back to re-pitch my work to the museum director and the executive team.

At which point my job felt done. A few weeks later, an email from the museum asked to my surprise if I'd be interested in my own gallery show….

No comments:

Post a Comment