Sunday, November 20, 2011

The challenge for artists of expressing themselves beyond a canvas

“Do artists need to talk about their work? Isn’t it enough that the work speaks for itself? Years ago, I lost a master’s of fine arts degree trying to prove this point—my professors failed me when I couldn’t articulate what my sculpture installation was about—so I have strong views on this subject.”

Above is the observation of writer-journalist of The Mint, Shoba Narayan, who wants to check the link that exists between art and articulation. She approached Pratiti Basu Sarkar of the Kolkata-based Centre of International Modern Art.

The CIMA gallerist recommended the names of artists Sumitro Basak and Shreyasi Chatterjee mainly because they are articulate, as she put ut. It is a brave answer because it does not pander to the two artists sitting with us.

“One of the challenges that faces a lot of artists, particularly in Bengal, is that they cannot articulate about their work in English.” Sarkar tells the columnist about a poor, self-taught artist represented by CIMA. Shakeela primarily works in paper collages, but she just cannot talk about or explain her work, stated Sarkar.

On the other hand, Chatterjee and Basak talk about how ‘cumbersome it can get writing pages of fellowship applications, as you’ve to prove what you are doing. Sarkar nodded to state: “I think the auction houses and the art market have been very detrimental influences on contemporary Indian art.

Shoba Narayan quips: “I wonder if I should tell her that the person who pointed me to her was the director and country head of Sotheby’s India, Maithili Parekh, even as Sarkar continues, “Yes, the world now knows that there’s such a thing as Indian art. But I don’t think they’re convinced by it. The buyers are mainly still buying India’s ancient art.

Barring a handful of mainstream, genuine foreign art collectors, contemporary art from India is mostly being brought by NRIs. What the West wants to see of India is the kitsch, the color, the street scenes, and the exoticism. To me, that’s untruthful and insincere..”

No comments:

Post a Comment