Monday, April 29, 2013

Searching for the ‘silent’ truth from the mundane

“Our generation is characterized by living patterns of noise, din and clutter. l intend to understand and decipher these patterns. The attempt would be to churn out a silent order out of this chaos, to try and unfold the mundane layers of everyday life to reach the silence in between each layer. Hence, searching the truth within is my inspiration.

"Thus, my visual vocabulary is centerd on the reflection of emotions, struggle, fear and the burden of responsibilities in day to day life,” so says Ahmedabad-based artist Sarika Mehta, whose latest solo show takes place at Latitude 28, New Delhi.

She adds, “My conscious effort has been to make art lighter, look at issues deeper and specific to human space, and understand the problems that reflect in our day to day life and somewhere also offer an individual perspective to those issues.” An accompanying note elaborates that her works are sparse and untitled too; they are untitled because so many times, the artist doesn’t like to restrict the viewer to see the way she sees her work. Mehta rather wants them to see them beyond the boundaries.”

Apart from her paintings, Mehta is also making a site specific installation that will flow like an algae-like form around the airconditioning pipes in the gallery staircase. Titled Flow, the installation will be made from wet towels painted with oil pigments and is a reference to the emotions that are raw and untamed and spread like algae. That one must not believe in repressing or suppressing or containing.

Sarika Mehta’ paperworks, full of playfulness and spontaneity, are equally muted and sparse in their appearance. Her works have a tactile feeling, and that is how she mostly begins herself. “I like my objects in front of me to touch and feel them. If I can bring my object in my studio, I always do. Stones, sticks, sand, ladder and natural things will always find a place in my studio. I love to go to my object, live with them, observe them and understand their character.”

No comments:

Post a Comment