Saturday, December 18, 2010

'I've to react to my own life and environment.'

Art expert-columnist of The Mint publication, Himanshu Bhagat, interviewed internationally celebrated artist Subodh Gupta on the eve of his new solo show at Nature Morte, New Delhi. In a free-wheeling interview (Steely resistance), he explains why his practice will continue to be inspired by the middle class and their aspirations.

Over the years you have continued to use your signature motif of pots and pans, even if the subject does not have an Indian context.


Subodh Gupta: It doesn’t matter what the subject is. It is not necessary for it to be Indian. But utensils are always related to food and food is related to human life. If you have food on plate, you have life. And if you don’t, you don’t have life. Now even the poor have stainless steel utensils but it is not necessary that they have food.

What determines your choice of medium for sculptures?
Subodh Gupta: Steel is a part of my life; it is my signature. But I am fascinated by other mediums too (such as) marble. It’s like watercolour—every artist finds it beautiful and dreams of drawing in it, even if he can’t really draw. And now every middle-class Indian home has marble. That attracted me too. No matter what I do, I have to connect with the people. I love utensils and I still have a long way to go. It is a discovery each time I do something with it.

How important is it for you to retain your Indian roots in your art?
Subodh Gupta: I live in this country and I have to react to my own life and environment. Artists react to their own culture and their own lives. By speaking the language of art, you can make anything. And it will fit anywhere. The subject doesn’t have to be American or Indian. When the (American artist) Jasper Johns drew the American flag no one asked him why.

Should art have a social message?
Subodh Gupta: Not necessarily. But 99% of good art has something strong to say. It speaks its own language, but it is not necessarily social—it could be something absurd too. The beauty of art is that you are not able to pinpoint things. It is not an essay that can be read word by word. People come and make their own meaning.

(Interview courtesy: The Mint publication)

No comments:

Post a Comment