Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The first ever work by a female Indian artist to be pegged at the Rs 10-crore mark

Raza, Souza, Padamsee etc will though take a backseat with Arpita Singh hogging the limelight at the upcoming Saffronart modern & contemporary winter auction, making her work the first ever by a female Indian artist to be pegged at the Rs 10-crore mark if the bidding manages to meet the estimated price.

The veteran artist's paintings are known to portray a female point of view about life in general. The featured auction work is said to have drawn its inspiration from a Tibetan play. She has been quoted as saying, “When Nandita Jain (who originally commissioned the work) asked me to do it, I first said ‘no’, since it was so huge as well as challenging.

"I didn’t really have a clue (about) where I should start, so I began reading books on epics and leafing through old literature. Someone lent me a publication about a Tibetan play - a version of the epic, Ramayana. I was reading the introduction and noticed the words ‘Wish Dreams’. And I could start thinking about exactly what to draw.” Explaining the symbolism of her mesmerizing work, the veteran artist adds:
“The mural shows the wishes and dreams of a woman within our society and how it progresses and how it’s related to other women through ritual. The most important ritual is wedding, so you’ll find a woman standing and from behind, two hands of a man holding her. I don’t like to keep space empty, so I fill it up with objects I see everyday. When I gather everything together, the whole pattern is meaningful. Individual forms are not very important to me.”
Incidentally, Bharti Kher’s life-sized, enormous elephant sculpture, ‘The Skin Speaks a Language Not Its Own’, fetched Rs 6,90,30,000 (roughly $1.6 million) earlier this year. For record, the most expensive auction sale by an Indian artist is Rs 15,69,48,288 ($3,486,965) set by SH Raza’s ‘Saurashtra’ (1983, acrylic on canvas work) at a Christie’s auction in June 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment